What's Being Read the Most...

Monday, August 28, 2006

Myspace Migration: Just Another Manic Monday

Have to start this blog posting out on a somewhat somber note. A friend of mine relayed this, and I'm compelled to post it, as well. My heart chills for this little boy; if you believe in prayer, I would so sincerely appreciate it if you would:
Monday we had a very bad car accident half a mile away from here. Tourists. Mom, dad and two little brothers. Mom pulled off the road to make a U turn and foolishly turned right into a huge oncoming propane truck who couldn't stop in time. Mom died on the scene. Dad died enroute to the ER. One of the little boys died in transit via air ambulance to Oahu. His brother is still in critical condition on Oahu after being transported.

Everyone here is just heartbroken. But if I could ask for just one prayer of any kind for this child and his future. He's 5 and his name is Lindon. Thanks.
So, there you have it. Utterly tragic. One of those things where you know there's a plan in there, regardless of how random it may seem, but you can't quite make it out. I feel so... sad.. for Lindon. And I can't even really fathom what would happen if that were my little family. It's stories like this, though, that make me feel grateful for listening when Eric, my lawyer friend, told me to get a plan of action in place for if I die. What would I want to happen to my children? Where would I want them to go, how would I want them to be raised? It's about so much more than life insurance benefits. As much as I hated doing it, I did get a plan of action in place. I know who will raise my children (and no, it's not their father) and have all the littlest details of how I want them raised spelled out. Of course, you know there's the possibility that they won't be followed- but, that's why you choose someone who you feel will be most like you to raise your children. As such, I want the girls' Aunt Jennifer and Uncle Philip to have my custody of the children, should something happen to me. Because, I feel like they'd raise the girls the way I would. Anyway, very sobering subject - do you have your plans laid out?

Today I'm working from home. Allergy issues are getting the best of me and I just don't feel like trekking it in today. And really, one of the benefits of my job is that I don't NEED to - I can do everything I need to from my house. Speaking of which, I guess I better get to it - I've got 30 minutes before I need to be on a call. Happy Monday - will write more later!
~~~~~
Wanted to share a poem. Shared it yesterday with someone and got back that it was interesting. Well, that's cool - but, now I'd like to spread it a little farther and see what other comments come back. It's by Elizabeth Bishop and I think it's quite profound. I'm going to share it the way I figure she meant it to be read. The "..." denotes pregnant pauses, while the "~" is to relay a quicker pause, more of a breath. Here you go!
One Art

The art of losing isn't hard to master...
So many things seem filled.. with the intent to be lost...
that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
Of Lost Door Keys; or the hour badly spent.
The Art, of Losing, isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
Places... and names...
and where it was you were meant to travel. None of these
Will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And Look! my last,
Or next to last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing... isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones ~ And vaster,
Some realms I owned ~ two rivers... a continent.
I miss them .... but ~ it wasn't a disaster.

.... Even losing you ~ (the joking voice, a gesture I love),
I shan't have lied.
It's evident
that the art of losing's not too hard to master...
though, it may look like... (WRITE it!)... like... disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment